Sunday 3 August 2014

Why am I ?


Why am I, and
will I always be?
Springtime melting snow
or, an eternal
ocean sea?

Where to wander, and
dare I dream?
Will my path
meander, like
a gentle mountain stream?

How to live, and
what to be?
The heaven bound
angel or, the devil’s
carnal scream?

What was my life, and
did I really see?
Was it simple in its
beauty, in its
love for me?

When is the end, and
what will it be?
A sentence for the
executioner, to
finally set me free?

Who will remember, and
why will that be?
Words fading on
a page until, I
never was me?

Copyright © 2014 by Mike Sutcliffe

6 comments:

  1. Very much enjoyed your poem. As I read it, the last line of each verse jumped out at me and here's what I saw:

    ocean sea?
    a gentle mountain stream?
    carnal scream?
    love for me?
    finally set me free?
    I
    never was me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, moving poem. It struck a chord with me. I printed it out to be able to read it again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The devil's carnal scream", its raw and tortuous. Best line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Springtime melting snow.. so poetic and so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. The eternal questions. I wonder if we will ever know the answers? A lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete